Saturday, July 25, 2009

Kathie's Week 30 - 70's retro


When I saw Hetty's block with the wonderful fabric choices, it reminded me of how lucky we are to have the variety of fabric styles available today. There are brights, reproductions, oriental, batiks, novelty, geometrics, I could go on and on. As a contrast to Hetty's block, I made mine using fabric left over from quilts I made in the late 70's. About the only choices then were calicos. Mine - kind of boring, Hetty's - engaging. I look forward to seeing the different styles of fabric we use this week.

7 comments:

hetty said...

OMG! Yours is anything but boring! I love it. I like seeing all the different ways that others make their blocks too. It is part of the fun of this Party - for me anyway!

Brenda said...

I like the colours and contrast -- not boring at all!

Librarynan said...

Sometimes we forget how far we have come (insofar as fabric design has taken us...) and how timeless some color choices are. The clean white makes the other colors really stand out. Nice job.

heather said...

Love the colors. I shamelessly copied your ideas for my version.

Vicki said...

At least you had some pretty colours of calicos and your block looks very bright and cheery. I remember some very boring, muted or beige calicos in my day.

The fabric choices these days are truly amazing and this is what is so much fun about the FBP. It's fun seeing how differnt the same block looks in all the different fabrics and colour combinations.

jan said...

Hi Kathryn,
Love the soft colours, makes it olde worly looking. Love it.
Janet

Carol E. said...

Not boring at all! You did a trick that makes a block non-boring: you mixed different scale patterns. The blue with sort of bigger dots and the more solid looking red and the smaller pattern on the green... they work nicely together. When they are all of one scale is when a block looks boring, in my opinion.