Monday, February 16, 2009

My Lucky Star - Deconstructed

I first tried my hand at the original sized block and my HST turned into a complete mess. So I checked to see what others were doing and resizing the block seemed like a good idea unless your brain decides to go on vacation over the long weekend (we had a holiday Monday here). My mind didn't want to work with fractions and I just couldn't figure it out. Then I thought what about jut doing the block with the regular sized HSTs that I have been making. Well my block would have come out to 16" and that's just a bit much.

In an e-mail with Quilt Pixie I mentioned my struggle and she got me sorted out with the math so I now had the correct dimensions. But the instructions were still not the clearest and all that flipping stuff wasn't sitting pretty. I read some more entries and sure enough folks were struggling with this block. so I decided to scrap the instructions, look at the block and see if I could do it with just squares and HSTs. Now is this more torture or less, I really don't know because this is as far as I have gotten. I've got all my squares and HSTs made and now to put it all together. How long will this take, I don't know, but I will keep you posted. Probably I'll have something by Wed, since tomorrow evening I have a quilt guild meeting.

3 comments:

Quilt Pixie said...

I'm struggling too -- I've cut so many pieces and resewed.... somehow I can't figure out how to place the triangles on the rectangles to get them right... Maybe tomorrow....

Living on the Spit said...

If I can do it and it closely resembles the correct version, then anyone can do it.

floribunda said...

I love your fabrics, Vicki! I haven't even cut fabric for this one yet...