Saturday, January 31, 2009

Wyoming Valley - 2 versions


I did two versions because I wanted to see how different the block would look using a white background and a black one. Quite different looks. The green and orange one has a refreshing look to it while the fuchsia and purple one is more dramatic I think.

I have to admit next time I should read the instructions a bit more carefully. I looked at the pattern and thought OK a whole bunch of HST and when to it. I didn't bother to read any further since I don't care for her method of doing HST. Only after I'm putting the whole thing together do I realize that the pattern had rectangles with triangles in the corners. So in my block those sections are actually made up of HST.

I also have a request of anyone here who has any tips or tricks of how to cut their squares so that they turn out consistently the same size, could you share that with the group? I'm still having some challenges with getting my squares to come out all the same size all the time. Thanks in advance.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Misreading the instructions worked in your favor. I think both are dramatic and full of character.

Anonymous said...

Are you asking how to cut squares from fabric to consistently get the same size? Or do you mean how to get your blocks the same size?

If you want the fabric squares to be consistent, then cut with the same ruler at the same spot. I mean, the same place on the line. Look closely at the ruler, you could cut to the right of the line, on the line, or to the left of the line. A few threads can add up.

If you want the blocks to end up the same size, you need to be very careful with your quarter inch seam. There are many ways to be accurate, including feet for your machine. Don't assume that the markings on the feet or on the sewing machine are correct. If you are off by a couple of threads and there are six rows to the block, that can add up to a quarter of an inch.

Remember though, that fabric is movable, and not stable. You can starch it and make it more steady, but it is still fabric. I take this into consideration, and don't sweat a quarter of an inch for a block.

Some people are more accurate than I am and I applaud them for that. I just know I am not bothered by little differences in the blocks.

Donna said...

love the different effects the background gave you... Rebbecca did a great job of explaining how fast the little bits add up in a block -- part of the reason that I don't sweat the small stuff :-) close enough is good enough.

Vicki said...

Thanks Rebecca. I was looking at the actual cutting part. I was using up sqaures that I had cut from a previous project and they were cut over a period of time. I guess that might be part of the problem in that one time I might have cut them to the right of the line and the next time to the left of the line.

Carol E. said...

I love both these blocks! Gorgeous fabrics!

Unknown said...

The first block with the white background looks like yummy candy!! The second one is a favorite because I am working on a black and pink quilt.

Maggi said...

Lovely blocks. Interesting that you decide to try a dark background as well as I decided to reverse mine too and us e the black for the background. Your colours against the back really glow

Julie in the Barn said...

I'm loving the dark backgrounds some of you have used. Someone told me years ago to always use the same ruler (and machine) for a project.Also to place the ruler mark onto the edge of the fabric, not at the edge or outside the edge.That little skosh of fabric that the black mark takes up makes a big difference cutting squares. Once you find the spot, always use the same spot and the same ruler. I also never stack more than 4 layers.

hetty said...

Lovely blocks. Interesting how different the black background fabric makes the block look. I like it. Consistency is the key to getting the blocks the same size. But others have already mentioned that much better than I could.