This was a quick block for me, but only because I didn't follow the directions and did it without all those triangles. Here's my method, which you might try if you are comfortable sewing and then squaring up to the size you need.
- Cut the center square 4-3/4 inches square.
- For the 4 squares that consist of two colors - cut a strip of each color 20 inches by 2-3/4 inches. Sew these two strips together, press, then cut into 4 pieces, each 4-3/4 inches long. The width of the pieces will probably be 5 inches, so you need to cut a smidgen off of each color so that you end up with 4 squares that are each 4-3/4 inches square.
- For the large white triangles along each side, cut a 7-1/4 inch square. Cut this into 4 triangles by cutting across the diagonal both ways.
- For the 4 corner triangles, cut two 4 inch squares. Cut each square in half on the diagonal.
- Square up the block to 12-1/2 inches.
This worked for me, and I hope it works for you.
Kathie L in Allentown