Monday, March 2, 2009

2nd try


I decided I really did like this week's block as an idea -- I think it'd be a really cute little quilt worked up; Having looked at how Heather cut seam bulk by making a square inside a square, adding flying geese and then HST in the corners got me thinking...

Original thought: make a striped piece of blue/yellow/blue and cut triangles from it to add onto the centre square. Realized I'd loaned out my triangle ruler, so thought a little further....

Final Plan: cut centre square, add strips around it. Trim to square!

Sooooooo easy, so many fewer seams; so much less lining up :-) Same great effect.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

this makes more sense to me than the HST way, unless one is using scraps. it sort of reminds me of the string quilt blocks made by Heartstrings, where four put together make a diamond. Now the question is< what are you going to do with the cut off bits?

hetty said...

Great idea Donna! It looks just like the original block!