Saturday, January 24, 2009

dewey dream

Dewey Dream is done, and while not a nightmare, its not my dream of paradise either... overall I'd rate this block as "boring". I don't know what it needs to spice it up, but for me, it just has too little pizzazz as a single block. Maybe it was my fabric choices....

I was happy to use precut squares from my scrap collection that I've been cutting up and storing using Bonnie's scrap system. I was able to simply look through the piles and find "red/purples" that played well together and some lights. I realized I have almost no lights in my scraps! I'm not sure how scrappy I'll be able to do lights in coming blocks, but I do have light yardage that'll be being used!

7 comments:

hetty said...

So in your case you could call it Dewey Nightmare! LOL But it turned out fine and looks absolutely perfect in workmanship! I have the same problem with my lights. There don't seem to be many of those in my scrap bin.

floribunda said...

I haven't cut out the pieces for this one yet, but you're right -- the pattern looks a little ho-hum... or maybe just too similar to the other 10" blocks we did recently. But I do love the fabrics you used!

Unknown said...

I think it looks like a shiny amethyst ring with sparkles!! I really like it.

Marlene

Must go work on mine now...

Vicki said...

Nice workmanship Donna. It's interesting about those light fabrics and that many of us don't seem to have a whole lot of them in our collections. Yet they do add a lot to the overall look of a piece.

In terms of colour choice, I like the ones you selected, but it might be about placement. Play around with the squares of fabric, arranging them beside each other to see how they look together before sewing togther.

Jeanne said...

Your red/purple assortment is nice.
I have zillions of precut scrap-user pieces and they are very handy. Your 'light' assortment will grow -- those scraps mate in the dark :)
Jeanne

Maggi said...

The colours work well together.

Anonymous said...

I like how the white star stands out.